Thursday, February 17, 2011

Updates and Info

Struggles in my personal life both continue and continue to improve. But I’m still not even back to full time with work, so if I don’t have time for work, I certainly am not left with much time for something like blogging. I still manage an hour or two a day with reading (sometimes longer if I let my daughter sleep on me during the day), so I’m reading quite a bit, I’m just not finding the time to write up my reviews. They will come, just slowly. Below is a list of books I’ve finished but not yet reviewed (except The Crippled God which I’m about half-way through).

Forthcoming reviews (when I can get to them):

·         The Dark Griffin by K.J. Taylor (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)
·         The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)
·         The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)
·         Never Knew Another by J.M. McDermott (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)
·         Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)
·         The Crippled God by Steven Erikson (Book Depository, Powell’s Books, Indiebound)

The state of those reviews ranges from nothing to detailed notes to (really) rough drafts. Even though I list them in the order that I finished (with The Dark Griffin finished back in early January) I doubt reviews will come in that order. I expect I’ll publish a review for Wise Man’s Fear on the day it’s released – March 1st. The Crippled God will also get priority once finished. Never Knew Another is a bit closer to publishable review than others so it could show up as soon as early next week. We’ll see.

And because I don’t want this post to all about me, below are a few links that may be of interest.

A few links of potential interest:

·         Here are the details to Steven Erikson’s upcoming UK tour. Unfortunately there are no plans for a US tour any time soon (maybe someone should start up a campaign to get him over here). Also, Erikson has posted up a few series-ending notes of appreciation for his fans – awww shucks…that was nice of him.

·         So, the blogosphere got it’s panties in a bunch when some nut-job conservative said a bunch of stupid and ill-informed things about the modern state of the fantasy genre – pointing fingers at some its most popular authors. Reactions have been swift and varied, sometimes quite reasonable and informed, sometimes they are even more crazy than the original post, and some try to set themselves above it all. And various author-types keep showing up in the comments – especially in Abercrombie’s reaction. For me – apathy.

·         A mass coronal eruption could affect technology – or at least result in cool aurora visible pretty far from the poles.

2 comments:

Iain said...

Lying on your back reading with your wee girl on your chest?

Neth that sounds like heaven.

I was rocking out to Led Zep IV last night with my wee boy, all 15 weeks of him, and it was sheer, unadulterated joy.

Have to see if he likes me reading while he sleeps on me.

Neth said...

I do love reading while my daughter sleeps on me (I did the same when my son was a baby). But she's growing fast enough now that we need to be more diligent about developing good sleep habits - so, less sleeping on daddy and more sleeping in a proper bed. Which means I no longer have an excuse to lie around reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...