Thursday, February 03, 2011

5 Years

On February 3, 2006 I officially started this blog. At that point there weren’t that many SFF blogger-review sites and I really didn’t have any plans or ambitions. I just thought it might be a convenient way to store a few reviews instead of letting them get lost in forum archives. Imagine my shock when I discovered that people were actually reading those reviews – people from all over the world – a couple of who turned out to be editors and authors.

I should probably have some grand post that cleverly shows all the wild happenings on this blog that have ranged from asking an author in an interview about a book he didn’t write (thank you cut and paste) to an author making an idiot of herself responding to my review here and elsewhere (and a whole lot in between). I should have a list of my favorite books of these past 5 years and perhaps even my least favorite. But time is short and after 5 years I can be a bit of crotchety old blogger. I could have a great post with statistical analyses of my review scores, but I’ve done that before and I image I’ll do it again – so not here. I should have a summary of the most popular posts and a snarky discussion of some the crazy search phrases that have led people here. But, remember I’m crotchety in my old age. Below are a few general facts that don’t mean all that much.

·         180 reviews
·         ~600 blog posts
·         ~50 interviews
·         A few hundred followers through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
·         A few hundred thousand visits (exact number unknown due to RSS feeds)
·         Over 700 books received from publishers

So, it’s been a great 5 years. I’ve made a number of friends among other bloggers and fans and even perhaps a few authors. I’ve met a number of authors in person and a lot more through the internet. And I’ve read a few good books. So, hopefully the next 5 years will be as fun as the previous.

Cheers!

11 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

Way to go Ken! I don't think I've stuck with anything longer than 5 years outside of my marriage. How goes your WoT audio re-read?

Neth said...

Thanks Michael.

The audio re-read is going great. I just started The Gathering Storm yesterday. Of course I lost the momentum for writing up my thoughts about it ages ago, now I'm simply enjoying it.

Tea and Tomes said...

5 years! That's awesome, and nobody can say that you're not a pioneer in the bookblogging world! I hope to see you around for a good while yet, given that I've only fairly recently discovered your blog. (Always a little late to the party, me.)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! That is quite the accomplishment.

RedEyedGhost said...

Congrats, Ken! I hope you're still doing this 5 years from now.

Pat said...

Good luck for the next 5 years, hope nothing bad happens to you.

Ryan said...

Congats Ken! 5 years is pretty amazing, but I'm hoping for at least another 5 years of being well informed and well entertained thanks to your blog. Keep it up.

ediFanoB said...

Belated Congratulations Ken! 5 years is and eternity- for me. Keep up the good work and good luck for the next 5 years.

Neth said...

thanks for all the kind words - it wouldn't anywhere near as fun to do without readers.

John Dax said...

So I'm late to the party and only just discovered your blog, missing the first five years. I've got you added to my rss feed now, and am looking forward to the next five years.

Five years is pretty damn cool.

Moses Siregar III said...

Congrats! I'm going back through your history and really enjoying your reviews.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...