Thursday, July 01, 2010

SF and Fantasy Masterworks Reading Project


It’s funny – in the past I’ve made my dislike of group blogs known. I simply prefer a focused, consistent and unique voice to the blogs I read and group blogs typically destroy this. But, there is always an exception to the rule and in this case it’s a group blog that I’ve decided to join. The SF and Fantasy Masterworks Reading Project is the brainchild of Patrick of Stomping on Yeti. The goal is rather simple: read and review all of the books that are part of the Gollancz series of SF and Fantasy Masterworks.

We bloggers tend to focus on new and forthcoming books, leaving those pre-internet books to languish. And it’s simply criminal how many of us bloggers (myself certainly included) have very little foundation in the classics of the genre we love. Hopefully this project will help alleviate that and give those of the internet generation(s) some direction toward reading the classics of genre.

Check it out – the blog went live today and the first review is up. And the list of contributors is quite impressive (and varied).



4 comments:

Valashain said...

Looks like I am not the only one who reviews old stuff anymore :P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There's a lot of great books out there that are pre-internet, too.

Ryan said...

Wow! Great idea! I can't wait to see what you guys think about some of those old classics.

Jamie Gibbs said...

I'm completely guilty of ignoring some of the classic Fantasy works in favour of new authors. I'm hoping to rectify that this month - I'm finally gonna read through lord of the Rings as my starting point :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...