Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson – What You Need to Know

The Gathering Storm (US, UK, Canada, Indiebound) by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson will be released in one week on October 27th. Fans everywhere are getting really excited (and a bit anxious). A few early non-reviews (I call them non-reviews because I think they are from too biased of sources to be anywhere near objective) have leaked out, some readers are claiming to have picked it up early from stores that already have the books, a well-known blogger has read it, and rumors are that other bloggers are starting to receive copies for review (this blog is even rumored to be receiving TGS sometime tomorrow) – though reviews are supposed to be withheld until the 27th.

The buzz is building. I’ve gone into
my relationship with The Wheel of Time before, so I won’t repeat myself here – but I will say that this is the series that got it all started for me, so the nostalgic value alone is priceless to me.

So, what’s a fan to do? Well,
Dragonmount.com has lots of info on the series, where to buy it, and signing events that Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan’s widow, Harriet, will be at later this month and next month. I’ll be volunteering to help out as a ‘Storm Leader’ at the signing event in Scottsdale/Phoenix, AZ next month on November 16th and I’m very excited about that.

Another resource I that I highly recommend is the
Thirteenth Depository Blog, which has numerous resources for fans including and absolutely incredible FAQ series, a thorough recap of the series, prediction contests and they have just opened their very own discussion forum. I’ve known Linda and Dominic for a while now from our days at Wotmania and I daresay that you won’t find anyone more knowledgeable about The Wheel of Time short of ‘insiders’ who write and support the writing of the series.

Tor has also been posting numerous promotional videos and interviews that many fans will find quite interesting. Several of these are embedded below.

Enjoy, and I can’t wait!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hardly consider myself amongst all you "big name" bloggers so I doubt I'll be getting a copy. I am taking solace in the secure knowledge that my copy is sitting on a reserve shelf at BN until Tuesday.

It is a cold comfort.

Also, I second the 13th Depository site. Their "The Storm is Coming!" has been invaluable so far. And, while she has only gotten through Lord of Chaos, Leigh Butler's reread over at Tor.com has been a lot of fun as well.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

"nostalgic value alone is priceless to me" - yes, I feel exactly the same way.

Thanks for the recap of all the WoT resources out there; it's great to see all this listed in one post.

I was so excited to be chosen as a Storm Leader for the Baltimore event. Can't wait for 10/29!!!

Neth said...

-and check out the new post above - pics Storm Leader shirts and bumper stickers as well as some other stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...