Tuesday, August 04, 2009

World Fantasy Award Nominees Announced

So, via Twitter I see that the 2009 World Fantasy Award nominees covering the 2008 award year have been announced. I generally like this award more than most of the main-stream SFF awards since it is a juried-award, though due to whoever the jury is made up of, the sort of books that get nominated year-to-year can vary quit a bit. Anyway, this year’s nominations for Best Novel are below:

The House of the Stag, Kage Baker (
US, UK, Canada, Indiebound)
The Shadow Year, Jeffrey Ford (
US, UK, Canada, Indiebound)
The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman (
US, UK, Canada, Indiebound)
Pandemonium, Daryl Gregory (
US, UK, Canada, Indiebound)
Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan (
US, UK, Canada, Indiebound)

What’s interesting about this year’s nominees is that I’ve actually read 3 out of the 5 books.

The House of the Stag by Kage Baker
Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory
Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

Of those 3, I think that Tender Morsels really stands out as the front-runner (even though personally, I didn’t care for it). I also find it interesting that at least 2 of these books are considered YA – see some of the best SFF being written right now is for the YA market and it crosses-over to the adult market very well. We’ll see where it goes from here.

2 comments:

Naberius said...

Thanks for posting on this! I have read 3 of the 5 nominated novels, and although I think Tender Morsels is an interesting idea, I wasn't big on the book. I've been pushing Pandemonium to people as an interesting read, so it's nice to see it on the list.

Neth said...

I really enjoyed Pandemonium and I've had numerous interactions with Daryl that have been great. But, I'm not sure that I see it as a book that should win an award like the World Fantasy Award - even though Tender Morsels didn't really appeal to me either, I still think it's the stronger book. But, Daryl should be really pleased that his debut novel made the short list - it's quite an honor.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...